Waterloo Field Target Club October 21, 2001

October 21, 2001 Dean


Shooter Gun Scope Pellet Total /60
Open Class
1) Dennis Eden Rapid 17 FT Leupold 18-40X Baracuda 52*
2) Andrew Horodecky AA 400 .22 Bushnell 4-12X .22 CP 14.3 52*
3) Robert Barton Z-Steyr B&L 36X CP 10.5 51**
4) Mike Ferarra NJR 100 Leupold 18-40 Baracuda 51**
5) Lanny Hann CR97 SE Leupold 18-40 Baracuda 50
6) Bert Habicher AA s300 Simmons 6.5-20X Baracuda 47
7) Hans Bormann Pro Target Leupold 18-40X Baracuda 47
8) Tom Zumpe AA 410 .22 Bushnell 4-12X .22 CP 14.3 44
9) George Harde TX 200 Bushnell 8-32X H&N Trophy 41***
10) Bill Horodecky TX200 Bushnell 4-12X  CP 7.9 41***
11) Tim MacSweyn Rapid 17 FT Bushnell 8-32X CP 10.5 41***

*Shoot off

**Mike conceded

***At this point, no one cared

Our last scheduled match of the year started out on a day that did not look promising.  It was cloudy and cold and quickly turned to cloudy, windy and cold.  The morning shoot went fairly well except for the wind that kicked up, gusting in the neighborhood of 20 mph.  The rain held off in the morning until most groups were finished or just had a couple of shots left.   It poured during lunch and then stopped as we finished lunch.  Except for one quick flash shower, the rest of the day was acceptable, with the best weather coming after the match was over of course.

            With a two shot spread between first and fifth, you can tell the competition was close.  Dennis and Andrew were tied at the end and a one shot shoot off was held.  A target was placed at 40 yards on the windy practice range and the one that shot closest to the center was declared the winner.  Dennis edged Andrew out by about the width of a pellet.  Andrew was shooting his new AA400 for the first time in competition and fared very well.

            Robert made the long drive to shoot with us again and gun and shooter performed well.  I would have liked to have seen a shoot off between Mike and Robert, but after drying their guns and packing them away, neither shooter was interested in getting them out again.

            All the guns functioned well on the day, but my brain had some malfunctions.  After shooting a close target at one full revolution of the elevation knob, I forgot to dial back down.  Malfunction one.  Then rather than the obvious, I thought the gun might be leaking air.  I filled up and missed some more.  Malfunction two.  I still can’t believe it took me that long to figure out the problem.  I’m sure I’ll find more creative ways to miss targets.  When I have made all the mistakes and have it all figured out, I’ll be too old to shoot.

            We are considering a shoot in November if weather permits, but if not, our Christmas shoot will be on December 9, 2001.

                                                                                                Tim MacSweyn